Cozumel Snorkeling for kids
Cozumel Snorkeling tips and observations
One thing to remember when you bring your kids to Cozumel is that it is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a gorgeous coral reef. While there is no guarantee your children will see every species available, there is a lot of wildlife that you are very likely to see.
- Avoid snorkeling with kids on the North Side of Cozumel.
- This area of Cozumel has currents and a strong tide.
- If your resort has a safe area to snorkel, try that first but check with the staff to gauge the strength of the particular body of water you and your child are about to engage.
- The beaches on the southern side of Cozumel, called playas in spanish, are a better choice for kids snorkeling as the tide is less intense.
- Consider a snorkeling tour since you have a guide and you can make sure the snorkeling area is kid friendly.
- Always review snorkeling safety tips with your children.
- Teach your kids to respect aquatic animals and their habitats.
- Teach your kids to NOT touch the coral.
- Never let children snorkel unattended, even if the water is calm and you have visibility for miles, water is water.
- Make sure your sunscreen is reef safe and will not pollute the area your are snorkeling in.
- Buy good equipment and do not under any circumstances skimp on a snorkel.